Types of Personal Injury Cases
Many people associate the term “personal injury” with motor vehicle accidents, and for good reason. Auto accidents are a leading cause of preventable injuries, and they happen all the time. While traffic accidents caused by negligent drivers are certainly grounds for a personal injury case, they are not the only types of cases handled by attorneys who practice in this area of law.
Although our legal team at Caraway Injury Attorneys focus exclusively on personal injury law, we handle a wide range of cases involving many different types of accidents and injuries. While entirely unique, these cases generally all share the common element of negligence – that is, a victim suffered harm that could and should have been prevented if not for another’s unacceptable conduct or failure to uphold a legal obligation.
To help you understand the types of cases handled by our Greater Sacramento Area attorneys, we have put together a list of the types of personal injury cases:
- Wrongful Death – Personal injury law is not limited to physical injuries suffered by victims. It can also be used as a vehicle for securing justice and compensation by families who have lost loved ones in preventable fatal accidents. When the negligent or wrongful acts of another lead to a victim’s untimely death, families have a right to hold the at-fault party accountable in civil court regardless of whether there are criminal charges involved (criminal and civil cases are handled separately from one another). In addition to providing justice, wrongful death claims also enable families to recover economic and non-economic damages, including their lost financial support, the costs of funeral and burial services, lost companionship, and emotional injuries, among others.
- Catastrophic Injuries – Serious personal injury cases demand the attention of experienced lawyers, as compensation may be vital to ensuring the well-being of victims and families well into their futures. These cases commonly involving catastrophic injuries, which are those that result in extensive physical and financial losses, as well as life-altering consequences. These types of cases may involve many different accidents and injuries (such as brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and more), but they all have high stakes when it comes to helping victims secure the compensation they need.
- Traffic Accidents – Traffic accidents are a common cause for personal injury claims, but they are not limited to car accidents alone. At Caraway Injury Attorneys, we have helped clients throughout the region after they suffered harm in all types of accidents on public roads and highways, including pedestrian accidents, bicycle accidents, motorcycle accidents, and accidents involving commercial trucks, all of which entail unique issues. For example, commercial truck accidents require extensive experience and understanding of federal trucking safety violations, as well as the insight and resources needed to fight back against powerful trucking companies that want to minimize personal injury payouts to victims.
- Dog Bites – Attacks by dogs can cause serious injuries, disfigurement, impairment, and a host of emotional and financial consequences for victims. Fortunately, the state of California has laws in place that allow victims to pursue personal injury dog bite claims against a dog owner whose pet harmed them, even if that dog had no documented history of aggression or attacks.
- Premises Liability – Premises liability refers to property owners and their responsibility of ensuring their property is safe for visitors and guests. When a premises owner fails to take reasonable measures in addressing hazards they knew or should have known could cause injuries (such as wet floors, inadequate supervision or security, poorly maintained machinery, etc.), they can be held liable for damages suffered by guests.
- Product Liability – Manufacturers, distributors, and others who make consumer goods available to the public have a legal obligation to ensure those products are safe for their intended use. Defectively designed, manufactured, or marketed products are a clear failure to uphold this legal obligation, and a valid cause for legal action when victims suffer harm. By pursuing personal injury claims based on product liability laws, consumers can hold at-fault parties liable for the damages they suffered when using equipment, vehicles or auto parts, tools, and other consumer products as intended.
- Workplace Accidents – Most people know that job-related injuries are typically handled through an employer’s workers’ compensation insurance. However, there are some situations where workplace accidents and injuries may result in personal injury cases against the at-fault party. When work injury cases are handled as civil personal injury claims – such as in cases involving negligent third parties, employers who cause harm through intentional or egregiously negligent acts, defective equipment or products, and unsafe properties – injured workers have the opportunity to recover substantially more compensation for their losses than the medical and wage replacement benefits offered by workers’ comp. Determining whether you have a valid personal injury claim arising from a work injury is not always an easy matter, which is why an evaluation from a proven attorney is important.
If you have questions regarding any type of preventable accident involving negligence, Caraway Injury Attorneys is available to help you learn more about your rights and whether you may have a valid claim for compensation. To speak with a member of our team, contact us for a FREE consultation.